Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Month Later: Photos










Well, it's been more than a month since I put in my new beds and started planting away. Here's what it's looking like now. The beds that look like massive weed beds are wildflowers. I'm not sure how much to thin them out and have opted not to do much until the plants get a little more distinctive. The bed next to my vegetables has been bothering me because it looks so messy and uncared for! I probably won't use that space for wildflowers next year. I'll plant a strip along the big fence.
We have been eating our first big lettuce harvest. Next year I'll have garlic in over the winter and peas in much sooner, as well as a bigger variety of greens. Fun. I really enjoyed the lush lettuce planters I had on my porch through April and May. They brought so much fresh color and life to perk up our extra cold spring! I highly recommend it. I bought a variety of lettuce starts at my local nursery. I have planted another crop of lettuce/greens (5 varieties) from seed that are coming up now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your yard and gardens look so good! Isn't it great to be able to start eating from the lettuces, and working on tackling the pests that threaten your tiny seedlings? Keep up the good work.