Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Weather & Wildflowers

Cool and rainy weather today. It is so nice to have my plants all watered naturally. The weather blog I like: http://ovs.com/weather_cafe.htm is predicting temperatures up to 95 degrees by this Friday and Saturday. It's hard to believe from this vantage point, but if it's true, it will be quite shocking for the plants. I'm still deciding whether I need to mulch over my new plants before then. I've been waiting for my nasturtiums and marigolds to pop up so I can mulch around them. My "Mel's Mix" holds water very well so that should help with the upcoming dry spell.

I planted two small wildflowers beds that are bright green with the upcoming new plants. I'm not sure how much to thin them. I'm considering just thinning out the thickest patches and then seeing how the rest do. I want them pretty dense. They are a pacific northwest mix, good with lots of rain and cool weather. I am very pleased with the mix. It's from Victory Seeds, an oregon on-line heirloom seed company. The seeds all have done very well.

It makes such a huge difference having a nicely prepared soil to plant in!! It is a pleasure to go out and put something in the ground. It's been so much fun that I'm hoping I haven't overcrowded everything. My beds are full of little seedlings that are going to be much bigger at some point. I don't have a good idea of how much bigger because I'm experimenting so much with the different areas of my yard, different amounts of sunlight, etc.

No comments: