Friday, April 25, 2008

Phew! All In And California Poppies all around..


Today was a gorgeous day for finishing up our flower beds. I ended up even having a little compost left over so I mixed it with some Miracle Grow potting soil and started six 3ft by 1.5 ft. experimental beds in the back 40, or the secret garden as the kids call it. I planted 3 varieties of lettuce, Parisian market carrots, spinach, arugula, plus some flowers back there. If they grow, bonus! Also put in two wildflower beds, sweet peas, california poppies, columbine, snap peas, and a catnip bed. This weekend we will plant the rest of our cool season veggies. I called the neighborhood nursery about the frost date and they said it would be May 15 or 17th. Yikes! I can't wait to get all my tomatoes, squash, peppers and nasturtiums going.... Our backyard feels so peaceful now. I like being out there. Can't wait to get some patio furniture! And more plants to keep our little fern company.

Tonight was an interesting adjustment for the kids (and dog) learning about the flower beds. Patrick was sitting on the front steps and told Lucy to go in the house and she went over and through the large planter. It never occurred to me that would possibly happen. The cat, well, we pretty much have a kitty spa around our entire house. We met a couple of our neighbors because we were all outside in the early evening, a fun bonus to gardening more!

Hopefully I'm not getting in over my head with all this. It's going to be a huge amount of work this summer. But very rewarding... My favorite parts so far are the "secret garden" and planting my favorite flowers, CA Poppies, something I've never done before. Yay!!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hm. I doubt Lucy would use the planter as a normal route. Interesting. Yesterday was a beautiful day, it's great you were able to get so much done. Fun!