Sunday, March 15, 2009

What a difference two weeks makes...




Today I transplanted my tomatos, eggplants, and most of my peppers, until I ran out of time and soil. Oops. I'll finish tomorrow and start round two in the Aerogarden. I love my little plants, so gorgeous and green! I am determined to pamper some sweet peppers into glorious production this year. Last year my peppers were overcrowded by squash and monster marigolds and produced all of one tiny bitter green fruit. This year I'm giving them their own pots and/or bed, starting them early with wall-o-waters and putting something behind them that will collect and hold the heat (like brick) to keep them nice and warm on chilly days. Still working on what that will look like, but I have some time.
Also this year I'm going to try out the upside down tomato planters. I have 8 varieties of heirloom tomatos I'm growing this year and am experimenting to see what works best. I LOVE my tomatos and eggplants. They are so beautiful and so much fun to watch growing.
This past week I planted peas in my front yard and out at the farm. We planted four different types of peas along a 30 (?) foot fence that will be a beautiful and delicious backdrop for flowers later. Yippee! It feels so good to be out working in the garden again. We had two fabulous sunny days and rain ever since: perfect for my new seeds. Tomorrow I'm going to be setting up 4 new grow lights and a work table in the garage with Patrick's technical assistance and then we're going to put up trellis', supports and wires for the 2 climbing roses and 4 clematis that will be arriving this week.


No comments: