Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fall is starting..




All the classic signs of fall are starting to show. The spiders are spinning big, thick webs outside and many are attempting to come into the house. The geese are flocking up and flying around in big formations. The potatoes and peas are well past their prime. My garden is vastly huger than I could have imagined it would become back in June.

This year our peas, potatoes, and onions did very well. The onions were a triumph for me because I kept planting them all the way under the dirt and getting small little onions. This year I planted some starts half way under and they are now gorgeous and brown and bulging out of the ground. I'm going to pull them out soon. I have a good cherry tomato and pear tomato crop coming and our blueberries and pears are having their best year ever.

It's time to plant the fall crops of kale, lettuce, carrots and beets. I'm considering plant fava beans all over for winter color, a nutrient soil refresh, and because I will be gone in the early spring and won't be fretting to have them out of the ground until I get back in March.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please help me for Christ sake